Sunday, December 9, 2012

It's a Party my Hearty!


A post from last year

Sadly enough, the love of my life is turning 4 next weekend.  Birthday parties are the only event I really get to host, so I like to make it special.  Especially because he is the coolest kid you'll ever meet, I know all moms say that, but I'm being serious!!  I decided to do a pirate themed birthday party, so of course the first thing I did was I googled it to get some ideas.  Nothing really jumped out at me, but then my sister found these on clearance at William Sonoma....
well she only found the centerpiece and the banner, but I went ahead and bought the goody bags, the napkins and the plates to make it complete.  Cute, huh?!
I designed the invitation myself by googling "pirate lingo" here's what I came up with
I designed it on Microsoft Word and printed them out on cardstock and used my scissors to cut the ripped edge look and then sponged the edge with my ink pad.
And then onto the party...
I bought the tablecloth from Christmas Tree Shop, the "fish net" was from one of Jacob's soccer goals that broke, I made the Happy Birthday banner with my Cricut Personal Cutter, and I bought the napkin holder was from Christmas Tree Shop.
The snacks were all pirate themed as well...
Golfish crackers were sharkbait, pretzel sticks were wooden planks, and grapes were cannonball kabobs.
I had peanut butter and jelly sandwiches also (I made sure that there were no peanut allergies beforehand.)
The snacks for the parents (that stayed) were not pirate themed but were just as delicious!I also had snacks for the parents that stayed
Drinks were "Barrels of Ocean Water".  The fish were just a cute little extra from one of Jacob's fishing games that he has.
I had a craft table (of course).  The kids could decorate there own pirate. I had crayons, markers, glitter glue, letters, stickers, feathers, and pom-poms.  Girls were at the party too so I had door hangers in case they weren't into the pirate thing.  I supplied a big tub of wipes too because I know how messy kids can be!!
Games consisted of "Digging for Doubloons" which I buried gold coins (found on Amazon.com) in Jacob's sandbox and let them dig for 10 each.  A treasure chest pinata (Amazon.com).  And last but not least, Pin the Eye Patch on the Pirate.  I drew a cute little pirate and cut out eye patches for each kid to be blind folded and try to place it in the right spot.
Games wouldn't be complete without prizes.  I made my own treasure chest out of a cardboard box that I fashioned to resemble a treasure chest and painted it brown.  I used gold ribbon and a sharpie for the detailing.  I filled it with all sorts of dollar store goodies including mardi gras beads and, of course, ring pops and candy necklaces.
My mom found these cupcake toppers and papers at Homegoods and they just so happened to match my decor!!
A party isn't complete without goody bags!  Each bag contained a red bandanna, an eye patch, a pirate bracelet (a flower bracelet for the girls), a little water gun, a 24 count box of Crayola crayons (20 cents at Target, what a deal!!), and gold chocolate coins.
Oh and did I mention we didn't have any electricity!?  Yup that's right we had zilch!  So I lined the hallway leading to the bathroom with flameless candles and lit the bathroom with candles
Cute hand towel, right?!   Thanks oriental trading!!

I was sooooooooo excited to throw this party, can ya tell!?  And by the looks of it, I think the kids had a swashbuckling good time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment