Sunday, December 9, 2012

Sew what...


I was in my favorite store Joann Fabrics the other day and I happened to walk past zippers.  So I thought to myself what can I do with these....
  And this is what I came up with!  I made a couple of other little credit card holder/change purses before that had a fold over velcro flap, but a zipper is so much more secure!  And really it's very easy to do, it may be a little harder to explain.  Here's what you need...
Sewing machine (& thread)
Cutting mat/Ruler
Rotary cutter or scissors
material (I used the packs that are already cut for $9.99)
6" zipper (in what ever color you choose)
                                                                               Ribbon (to match
                                                                               material)
                                                                               Key chain
                                                                               Seem ripper (we all
                                                                               make mistakes!)
Cut your chosen material 6" x 8".  Place the printed sides of both materials facing each other, and sew (1/4") one of the longer sides together.  Now on the other side about 2" down you are going to want to put your ribbon to hold the key chain.  The loop is going to be facing the inside of the material (it sounds backwards but just follow along).  Leave enough ribbon because when you are all done sewing the ribbon is going to be about 1/2" smaller then what you left for the key chain.   Sew that side now while holding the ribbon in place.   Turn the material inside out and iron, this way it lays flat and it's easier to work with.
The 6" zipper is going to be a little too long, so place the zipper (upside down) against the edge of one side of your material (the excess material will  hang over) sew right along the zipper.  Fold the material so you'll now be able to sew the other end to the zipper.  You're project, so far should look like this.  Does it?
 
Now pinch the top together, tucking the zipper between the sides of the coin purse, also tuck the ribbon in too. Sew the end of the zipper edge  (1/4") from the end all the way up over the zipper track (go back and forth over the zipper track a few times.)  Cut the excess off.  Unzip the other side, so you can sew the other side without the actual clunky zipper being in the way.  line up the zipper track and make sure the ribbon is tucked in and now sew along that edge.  Right up and over the zipper track.
Flip inside out or outside in and there ya go!!  All you have to do is add your little key chain .  If you wanted to, you could add batting in between the two pieces of material, it would make it a little bulkier and stiffer.  I liked mine light and simple, and besides, I didn't have any batting.  And you could also make the coin purse bigger.  Just cut longer and wider material.   (7" x 9", 8" x 10" etc.)
Mine is on my keychain right now and is holding Jacob's daddy's credit card!!! Shhh!  Just kidding, he knows I have it, I had to return something!!  But now I don't have to search through my big bag for it, it's right there hanging on my keys!
Hope you like it, and hope you give it a try!!  Let me know how it comes out!

No comments:

Post a Comment