Sunday, December 9, 2012

Furniture Redo


So this is my biggest furniture redo yet.  It was a piece of furniture given to my sons father and in turn he gave it to me.  Actually he gave it to my mom and then she decided to get rid of it.  I took it on as a little challenge.  Here is the before...
There are actually 2 drawers too, but I got a little too excited and started disassembling before I took the picture!  So anyway, I removed all the hardware (nobs, hinges, and locks) and went to town.  I sanded quickly (it's not a real wood so I was just dulling the shine, I actually have no clue what the heck it's made out of).  Anyway, I used my handy dandy spray paint in Ivory Silk and spray painted everything a couple times and let it dry.  I purchased a pretty contact paper at Home Depot and put it inside the two drawers, along with the 4 drawers inside the doors.  I also bought some newer knobs for the drawers and door.
I added a couple finishing touches that came from the mind of yours truly!!  Inside the left door I used chalkboard paint and made a little chalkboard "craft to do list" or a "craft shopping list"  AND I bought the blank light switch plates and sprayed those with the chalkboard paint too!!!  I used some wood screws along with my handy dandy power drill and drilled those bad boys in, see......
Once I decide what will be in the drawers, I will write it on the plates, and when I decided to change I will erase it and write something else!!  Nice, right?!  I love it! Now, how did I give it the distressed look, you might ask.  Well I used a sponge brush along with the Jacobean stain (my fave!) and I dipped it, I blotted it, and I ran the brush sponge along all the seems, edges, and corners, here's a closer picture...
After everything dried I did put a couple coats of a satin polyeurathane to seal it. So now this piece of furniture is sitting in my bedroom holding my fabric, office supplies, scrapbook paper, and other craft supplies.  I'm very happy with the way this baby turned out!!!  So once again here is the before and after....
So much better don't you think!?

No comments:

Post a Comment